Calcutta's Nostalgic Mughlai Paratha !

  Our discussion encircled around Calcutta's fast food. 

From there it turned to Old Calcutta's renowned shops

& restaurants and their specialities. 

 Being a Calcuttan by birth I took pride in naming few

restaurants which were renowned for their  specialities.

Mughlai Paratha was our target and I quickly took the

names of few Old Calcutta restaurants which were famous

for such items.

 My wife with whom I was discussing was from Murshidabad

 and looked upon me to guide her in this respect. I named few

 (Anadi Cabin, Oriental Restaurant, Mitra Cafe etc) and claimed

them to be the best. 

 Oriental Restaurant beside Oriental Seminary (Tagore's school)

being the nearest I decided to give it a try. 

I looked up at the net and found their timings. I took an auto to

reach there but found the shop just opening. Unfortunately they

were not ready and requested me to come back in the evening.

 My wife already took the required holiday from kitchen and so

I was left with no options. I took another auto to Basanta Cabin

near Hedua. Again I failed since it was not the right time-they

said. I was getting a bit frustrated but decided to get through it.

I walked towards Hatibagan to find out if anyone else was ready

to oblige me. I knew that someone near Rupbani Cinema usually

sold fast food along with Mughlai Parathas. Soon I met with another

failure. I looked at the empty restaurant beside and remembered

that at some point of life I was served the Parathas here. I entered

but found no one to attend me. I was on the point of leaving when

an young man appeared like Aladdin's genie. I was quite exasperated

but kept my cool and enquired for my Parathas. He went inside the

kitchen and soon came out with two others. He ordered the younger

one to serve me (the other one being a bit elder was completely deaf

as I later found). Like the Genie the young man vanished ! The elder

bearer gently told me about the size and spread his two hands apart.

Roughly it was around a foot in diameter. When I asked him to show

once again he spread his hands a bit further. By this time however I

knew that the man was stone deaf.

Around 10 minutes later the cook announced that my 2 Parathas were

ready. I peeped from the small window and found my two big Mughlais.

The cook was about to cut them into pieces while I requested to keep

them intact. For packing he was however compelled to cut each into

half.

To make it short I must admit that their Double Egg Mughlai did not

prove bad at all ! It was impossible to finish them at one go and so we

decided to finish the other one in our next meal !!


























 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kolkata Biryani in Hyderabad!

Ramdulal De Society in America !!

Tara Bhora Akasher Niche. By Srijato !