Hatibagan shoe shop vanishes !

The name of the shoe shop was probably ' Bhattacharya &Co'

and it was situated on the important crossing of Hatibagan

of North Calcutta. I used to frequently visit the shop for my

requirements of foot wears. I was around 38/39 years of age

when I had the opportunity to meet the proprietor of the shop

who was eagerly showing varieties of shoes according to my

choice. Somehow we got down to a casual conversation when

I asked him about the age of the shop. I don't remember the

actual words that he had spoken but I could still recollect that

he suddenly became sentimental. Soon I realized that he was

too attached to the shop and went on and on to convince me

that it's  old -perhaps the oldest footwear shop in Hatibagan.

Finally when he stopped I asked him an impertinent question.

" And how long do you expect the shop to last -I mean do you

expect the next generation to stick to it ?" He looked exasperated

and thought for a while.

"My sons are from the educational world and am not sure! "

It so happened that one day I dropped my son in a renowned

 College Street school and was returning home. During those

days gurdians usually interacted with each other after leaving

their children to school. That day too I had company along with

me. We were walking towards our homes when suddenly I came

to know that he was none other than the footwear shop owner's

 son.

I took the opportunity to relate the conversation I had with his

father. Soon I came to know that he was a qualified Engineer

and worked in SAIL. He listened quietly and finally we parted.

The most amazing part was that same Engineer never hesitated

in running the footwear shop -even putting shoes to various

customer's foot himself. Whenever I passed his shop I always

saw him working shoulder to shoulder with the workers (of

course after office hours )who seemed very proud of him.

One shouldn't forget that Engineers were held very high

during those days!

But..but...few years back when I had the opportunity to visit

 Hatibagan the footwear shop vanished and some fast food has

taken it's place !

I couldn't hold back my tears !!!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kolkata Biryani in Hyderabad!

Ramdulal De Society in America !!

Tara Bhora Akasher Niche. By Srijato !