The One-eyed man !

I have seen him only once in my life yet how remarkably he still exists in my mind.
I was around 30 when I first saw him. It was the first and unfortunately the very last time that I ever met him-at least so I thought!
He looked like any other, a very ordinary man with shabby dress and long hairs. There were some other features too that reminded me of my school days.
I was in Madan Cabin,a local tea shop in our locality. Usually our friends took out some time to spend there. It was around 6pm and, as usually, 3/4 friends were with me. We were busy discussing with those day's hot topic.
Suddenly we noticed the man , with a peculiar look, paying attention to whatever we were saying.I have already mention some common features of the man.Those who have read "Treasure Island" by R L Stevenson would be in a better position to relate him with Long John Silver since he too was a one eyed man.He was of course not a one legged man though.
After sometime I realised that his centre of focus was me. At times he was vehemently looking at me-in fact he was not willing to shift his only eye away from me. I felt uneasy and repeatedly tried to understand the the reason. In the meantime my friends left and I too was on the point of leaving.
Finally the one eyed man got up and went to the counter and paid for his cup of tea. I too got up to leave when suddenly he turned and hit me  hard on my face. Madan Babu immediately caught the exited man's hand. I was so perplexed that I failed to react.
In his excitement the furious man was muttering something. For few moments no one could follow what he was saying.
At last...and at last I came to know what and why he acted in such a manner.
Here is the story:
A year back -it was raining incessantly -when I was in a hurry to reach a cinema hall. I had my umbrella with me. Somehow I boarded a bus and was trying to fold the umbrella when I heard someone protesting. Probably he was hurt by my umbrella while getting up from his seat. For a moment I saw him covering his face, as if in pain, and quickly getting down the bus to the pavement . Only once did he turn back and looked at me sternly. I spotted blood on his face when the bus sped away.
I immediately remembered him and said that I have  regrets for the incident of that rainy evening. He kept on looking at me sternly. 
Finally he calmed down and a strange sadness spread over his face.
"You little know how you have spoiled my entire life."

(To be continued)




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kolkata Biryani in Hyderabad!

Ramdulal De Society in America !!

Tara Bhora Akasher Niche. By Srijato !