A haunting experience !

It was an experience that still haunts me! 

I was probably 22/ 23 years old when I was passing through a North Calcutta gulee-

not exactly a gulee-which had its own character, usually seen and felt during those days.

It was around 8pm and quietness descended the place with only a solo female voice 

coming from the first floor of a house. During those days flat culture was unknown or

little known. The place was peaceful - in fact too peaceful except the voice which poured

 into my ears and compelled me to stand still !I stood there motionlessly for nearly an hour

listening to that gentle and melodious voice. I presumed the singer to be of my age or proba-

bly more. She was a Classical singer absorbed in her Alap along with the accompaniment of

her Tanpura ! Little did she felt my lone presence on the street below.I quietly walked away

and felt the haunting voice pursuing me throughout the night in my sleep ! 

The voice melted away in the morning and once again I became absorbed in my daily chores.

BUT the voice slowly entered deep deep into my heart and stayed for all these 46 years.

I listened to almost every eminent Classical singers-yet the voice still seems to haunt me 

- now and then !! 

Wonder why ?
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kolkata Biryani in Hyderabad!

Ramdulal De Society in America !!

Tara Bhora Akasher Niche. By Srijato !